Monday 3 January 2011

The dreaded first post...

...I say dreaded, first impressions should be good and gripping right?

So to start with, I live on the edge of the Lincolnshire Fens, near enough in the middle of a field and i wouldnt change it for the world! Bird has always been the word for me and I have been facinated all my life and hence last year I started bird ringing in my hunt for further knowledge. I've had an amazing first year and have rung some spectacular birds (Waxwing for one!)

This last month has lead to my first ringing post sounding very ungreatful; we caught 11 Bramblings this morning (my fave bird) and it was a crap morning if I'm honest! There have been 200 Brambling on our ringing site for a month now and we can never seem to get more than 20 at once, its very frustrating when apart from the Brambling your catching little else.

On the local birding front however, my hometown has hosted around 100 waxwings over the last few weeks, something i am certainly not complaining about! My first waxwing was on the 23rd December and I have gone 1 day since then not seeing any, and that was Christmas with the family!

Ringing totals- 03/01/11
Brambling 11 (1 retrap)
Chaffinch 2 (1r)
Blackbird 1 (1r)
Yellowhammer 1
Reed Bunting 1
Goldfinch 1
Blue tit (2r)
Robin (1r)
Song thrush (1r)

On a plus note the retrap Chaffinch was a bird from 2 years ago at least, not to often we get those kind of recoveries (Y)

Hope I have entralled enough to keep some eyes watching this space, cos this weekend coming it might have Redpoll added to the ringed list!

No comments:

Post a Comment