Monday 4 November 2013

04/11: Redwings.

A quiet birding week. Not been out and not seen much. However I have noticed the sounds of migrating Redwing passing overhead in the night. Because I have done nothing bird related this week, I will focus on them!

Redwing (Turdus iliacus) is a species which I have ringed before in the past. Lovely bird in the hand and an option for favourite thrush (can't forget Fieldfares!). Very much a bird I associate with winter time back home, as I live in the fens, you can get some pretty decent flocks, often mixed in with Fieldfare. What I have learnt after a quick google is that Redwing have two subspecies, iliacus and coburni. Iliacus is found through and breeds in mainland Europe and winters here in the UK. Coburni however are Icelandic and Faroese (I have no idea if this the collect term for Faroe Islanders...) and winter along Western Scotland and Ireland as well as far south as Northern Spain. The visual differences are apparently a larger and darker bird would be for Coburni.

An Icelandic bird coburni. (Photo taken from: Jacob Sigurdsson, Wild Bird Gallery)

And iliacus.

From the photo's there does seem to be a difference in the shades of brown on the back and wing of the bird, I'll have to keep an eye out from now on.

P.S. Trip to WWT Slimbridge a week on Wednesday. I'll try get some decent photo's and something to write up about!

No comments:

Post a Comment